Juvederm is a series of FDA-approved dermal fillers created by Allergan. The main ingredient used in these fillers is hyaluronic acid. The different products in the collection have varying concentrations and components formulated to be optimal for specific areas of the face or for specific problems. Most of these products also have a variant with Lidocaine to help reduce pain during the procedure.
Juvederm’s hyaluronic acid is made from Streptococcus Equi through a proprietary process called “Hylacross Technology.” The cross-linker used in Juvederm is 1,4-butanediol diglycidyl ether (BDDE). These qualities ended up creating a smoother and more long-lasting effect.
It has also been documented that Juvederm’s smoothness allows it to be better suited for fine lines and for tighter skin areas such as around the eyes, lips, and nose.
The amount of crosslinks in the hyaluronic acid in Juvederm are also higher than most other brands, leading it to have more longevity in its effects. In general, Juvederm products can last from one to two years. The increased longevity of these effects also means the user will need less visits to the dermatologist.
Juvederm products include:
- Juvederm Ultra 2 – Juvederm Ultra 2 is suited to treating moderate dermal defects and depressions on the skin and fine lines around the corner of the eyes and lips.
- Juvederm Ultra 3 – Juvederm Ultra 3 is thicker and works better on deeper lines and folds and can also be used to add volume.
- Juvederm Ultra 4 – Juvederm Ultra 4 has an even higher concentration of hyaluronic acid, making it ideal for deep lines and for adding volume.
- Juvederm Ultra Smile – Juvederm Ultra Smile is specially formulated for adding volume to lips with a natural look.
- Juvederm Hydrate – Juvederm Hydrate is a skin booster that improves elasticity and vitality without adding volume. This works due to the hydrating properties of hyaluronic acid. This also has mannitol, an antioxidant, to prolong the effects.
- Juvederm Volift – Juvederm Volift is for deep lines and creases in areas like the nasolabial folds. It is also used in contouring the face.
- Juvederm Volbella – Juvederm Volbella is formulated for restoring volume to the lips and perioral area.
- Juvederm Voluma – Juvederm Voluma is for lifting and contouring the cheeks.
- Juvederm Volift Retouch – Juvederm Volift Retouch is used in filling in deep lines and wrinkles such as smile lines and the nasolabial folds.
- Juvederm Volite – Juvederm Volite uses low molecular weight hyaluronic acid to hydrate the skin.
- Juvederm Ultra XC – Juvederm Ultra XC has a concentration suited for moderately deep wrinkles and can also be used to augment lips.
- Juvederm Ultra Plus XC – Juvederm Ultra Plus XC is formulated to be more viscoelastic and suitable for treating moderate to severe wrinkles.
- Juvederm Volux – Juvederm Volux is mainly used for adding volume or in soft tissue augmentation.
Refrain from taking these products if you have any of the following:
- bleeding disorders
- allergies to the ingredients
- pregnant or lactating.
Possible side effects include:
- light bleeding
- pain around the injection site
Notify your doctor immediately if you experience any of these complications:
- Allergic reactions
- Tissue necrosis due to occlusion of or injection into blood vessels.
The procedure for injecting these products should take less than an hour with no need for significant recovery. You may be advised to refrain from heavy exercise for the first 24 hours. You should see the effects immediately after the procedure and it will subside to the desired look once the swelling goes down.