Restylane is a hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler created by the company Galderma. The products on this range are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for patients aged 21 and over. It is non-animal in origin and is created by the bio-fermentation of a streptococcus bacteria and uses 1,4-butanediol diglycidyl ether (BDDE) as its crosslinker.
Restylane has the advantage of being able to provide more structure due to its hyaluronic acid concentration and formulation, making it more suited to volumizing and contouring larger areas of the skin. However, there are also variants that can be used in more sensitive areas. It is particularly effective in the lips, cheeks, around the nose, and can even be used to add volume to the skin on the hands.
Due to its usage of non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid, risk for reactions or side effects is low and if any minor side effects occur, they should dissipate within a week from the procedure. Some variants have an option for lidocaine in order to reduce any discomfort felt from the procedure.
Juvederm products include:
- Restylane – is a clear gel that adds volume to the dermis to treat moderate to severe wrinkles, such as nasolabial folds and marionette lines. This filler can also act as an implant or filler for lip enhancement.
- Restylane Lyft – is a viscoelastic gel used in adding volume and contouring. It is usually used in areas such as the mid-face, hands, folds such as the nasolabial folds, and wrinkles in general
- Restylane Lyps – is formulated for lip enhancement by injecting hyaluronic acid to add volume and to hydrate the lips, making them look fuller and healthier.
- Restylane Refyne – is a soft tissue filler meant to reduce moderate to severe wrinkles including smile lines, marionette lines, and nasolabial folds around the nose and mouth.
- Restylane Volyme – is intended for adding volume and structure to the face. Its formulation adds support to the skin, making it look and feel fuller.
- Restylane Defyne – is an injectable gel made for treating deep wrinkles and skin folds. Its use of larger crosslinked hyaluronic acid particles makes it suitable for adding volume into the deep dermis.
- Restylane Kysse – is specially formulated to add volume to the lips, making them look naturally fuller and removing fine lines around the mouth.
- Restylane Skinboosters Vital – utilizes the hydrating properties of hyaluronic acid to bind water molecules to the skin, improving the skin elasticity and hydration.
- Restylane Skinboosters Vital Light – uses less concentrated and finer particles of hyaluronic acid to improve skin hydration and combat the effects of aging, sun exposure, and stress on the skin.
- bleeding disorders
- allergies to the ingredients
- pregnant or lactating.
- light bleeding
- pain around the injection site
- Allergic reactions
- Tissue necrosis due to occlusion of or injection into blood vessels.
Administering these products should take less than an hour with no need for significant recovery. You can probably pop into your dermatologist’s office on your lunch break and have the procedure done before you’re due back.
You may be advised to refrain from strenuous activities and makeup for the first 24 hours. The effects of the products should be immediately visible after the procedure and will subside to the desired look once the swelling goes down.
Restylane’s effects should last between 6 to 18 months depending on the patient’s absorption of the product.